15 reasons to visit Deckchair Cinema
- Ambience – the magic of being outdoors in a venue with décor designed to enhance the feeling you’re somewhere special. You can expect an atmosphere enhanced by a little festoon and fairy lighting, plus original artwork by local artists Techy Masero in the form of sculptural hanging lamps, and Marita Albers livening up our menu chalkboards.
- Location – we’re less than a stone’s throw from Darwin Harbour (and the sunset), which results in beautiful seabreezes in the afternoon and early evening. We are also based in the CBD making it easy with public transport and great for tourists who stay in the area.
- Dinner is available every night, prepared fresh by local caterers. There’s always a veggie option, and caterers use biodegradable cutlery and containers.
- Support Local – We maintain a local focus at our candy bar – at affordable prices! We stock snacks by local suppliers – all our popcorn is made locally (Katja’s Delicious Popcorn) as well as all our icecream (Crazy Acres). Also available is locally made chocolate (Bumble Bean Cafe), locally made iced coffee (Sailors Brew) and locally made chocolate fudge crocodiles (Territory Fudge)!
- Beer and wine is available from our licensed bar from 6pm-8pm weeknights and 6pm-10pm Fridays and Saturdays.
- Cinema opens 6pm and the film screens at 7.30pm – so there’s 90 minutes to enjoy the sunset while socialising with friends and/or family over a meal and a drink .
- We are run by a not-for-profit community organisation, the Darwin Film Society. One way we give back to the community is by funneling 100% of ticket profits to Darwin-based charities and NfPs on a weekly basis – every Sunday!
- We have at least 1 x open caption screening for the deaf community per program and we are wheelchair accessible.
- We offer complimentary cushions and insect repellent (all-natural and locally made by Viva La Body)
- We have Café Cinema (an informal discussion group) after our Members Night screening – 1 screening per program is FREE entry for members – check the program! We reach out to local experts to come along as special guests to provide insight into the film we have screened – and we provide complimentary refreshments usually in the form of coffee and cake!
- We’re home to Darwin International Film Festival (in fact, DIFF is another project of Darwin Film Society).
- We program a high amount of Aussie film – almost 25% of our program is Australian!
- We’re green where possible – there’s no bottled water sold at Deckchair. Instead we have chilled, filtered free water on tap. Our caterers use biodegradable plates and utensils. Plus we collect drink containers for the Down’s Syndrome Association which both raises funds for the Association and keeps the containers from the waste stream.
- We couldn’t do without our wonderful community of volunteers who help at working bees and promote Deckchair (about 30-40 people regularly come down for our annual Big Working Bee to help scrub deckchairs, clean out fridges, cut down overgrown foliage etc – all in the heat of the wet season!)
- There is free parking right outside the venue after 5pm. We also have ample bikerack space just outside the cinema for bicycles, and – for those who live nearby – the Cinema is accessible via a well-lit walkway leading to the Esplanade.